Monday, January 29, 2007

Oh the pride....how it is stung

We pick up the story in Esther again, this time in Chapter Six.

The King is having a restless night so decides it's a good time to go through old records. Do you remember the good deed Mordecai did at the beginning of the book? Where he discovered a plot against the king?

Well, the king, in his restless reading, came to this account, and asked "What honor or distinction has been bestowed on Mordecai for this?" He was told, "Nothing". So being the decent King that he was, he wanted to rectify the situation.

He asked who was around to help him,
And the king said, "Who is in the court?" Now Haman had just entered the outer court of the king's palace to speak to the king about having Mordecai hanged on the gallows that he had prepared for him. 5And the king's young men told him, "Haman is there, standing in the court." And the king said, "Let him come in."
The King figured that Haman would have a good idea about how to reward Mordecai for his good deeds.
6So Haman came in, and the king said to him, "What should be done to the man whom the king delights to honor?"
Haman made the mistake of thinking the king meant to honour him. (wow...this man had pride issues didn't he?) :)
And Haman said to himself, "Whom would the king delight to honor more than me?" 7And Haman said to the king, "For the man whom the king delights to honor, 8let royal robes be brought, which the king has worn, and the horse that the king has ridden, and on whose head a royal crown is set. 9And let the robes and the horse be handed over to one of the king's most noble officials. Let them dress the man whom the king delights to honor, and let them lead him on the horse through the square of the city, proclaiming before him: 'Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor.'"
The king agreed with Haman, and said
10Then the king said to Haman, "Hurry; take the robes and the horse, as you have said, and do so to Mordecai the Jew who sits at the king's gate. Leave out nothing that you have mentioned." 11So Haman took the robes and the horse, and he dressed Mordecai and led him through the square of the city, proclaiming before him, "Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor."
Haman was unimpressed with this turn of events, but did as the King commanded.

Now I have to admit, even though Haman didn't like it, he did what he was supposed to do. Makes me think of all the times God asks me to do something that I don't particularly like to do, but I do them anyways. Like treat people with respect that I don't particularly like. Like share my faith with people who really couldn't give a rip. Like take care of "dirty" diapers on a little boy. I do them because God asks me to. I don't have to like it, but I do it because I answer to a greater authority than mine. And I do have to admit that even though I don't always like the tasks that God places in front of me, I do like that I am, if I have the proper attitude, able to bring God glory through good completion of these tasks.

If I were to do them with a hang dog expression, or a hard heart...that wouldn't bring glory to God. That would just be me being a selfish brat. And that I don't want to be. I want to be a God-glorifier. I don't want to whine and complain about where God has placed me in life, I want to do what My Lord commands of me, willingly and happily. Please pray for me...because I have to admit, some days...it just ain't there. :)

Anyways, I find it interesting, since I do know the story of Esther, how Haman received a warning from people.
12Then Mordecai returned to the king's gate. But Haman hurried to his house, mourning and with his head covered. 13And Haman told his wife Zeresh and all his friends everything that had happened to him. Then his wise men and his wife Zeresh said to him, "If Mordecai, before whom you have begun to fall, is of the Jewish people, you will not overcome him but will surely fall before him."
It's like, watch out Mordecai what you set your sights on. You go after the Jews and only bad things will happen to you.

Stayed tuned for more events in this unfolding drama.

No comments: