Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Ashamed and Thankful

Reading from Ezra 9 this morning I came across these words
"O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift my face to you, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads, and our guilt has mounted up to the heavens.
I read those words and one of my first thoughts was.... how often have I been like that when I come in repentance before the Lord? So seldom. So often as I take inventory of my day it's well...it wasn't to bad, but oh God, forgive me for ______ and that's all I do. And yet my response to my sin should be more like Ezra's was on behalf of his people. To be ashamed, to not want to lift my head, to be fully aware of the error of my ways.

I should always see what God has done for me, and how my sin, especially if I am unashamed of my sin, just basically laughs in his face. Basically shows contempt for him and his ways. And God is so gracious to me. He's given me a loving husband, shelter, food, a wonderful boy child, a great family, a good land, health and oh my...the list could just go on.

For Ezra in his day, God has restored the people to the land. He gave them protection from their enemies when they were few in number and their enemies numerous. God said...don't intermarry. They did! And they were not bothered by it. But Ezra was. Ezra was repentant for their actions, especially in the light of all God had done for them.

May I be more like Ezra. Repentant of my sin. Ashamed of my sin. Fully thankful to God for all the many ways he blesses me (like snow in the winter that makes me smile). Oh my Lord, forgive me in my arrogance. Keep me humbled before you.

No comments: