Thursday, January 18, 2007

An Evangelist

Now here is a evangelist at heart. AND he is open to learning truth about God.
24Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. 25He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and explained to him the way of God more accurately. 27And when he wished to cross to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed, 28for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, showing by the Scriptures that the Christ was Jesus.
I don't know if you have seen it or not. The excitement of a new believer, sharing what they know about God with everyone around them? I haven't seen it often, but when I have I have noticed something....some of those new believers are willing to learn more, and to correct themselves if they have said something wrong, whereas others are not quite so open to that.

Here is Apollos. All he knows is the baptism of John. Nothing more. BUT from that he proclaims Christ, and he does so boldly...this in a time of persecution. When Priscilla and Aquilla hear what he has to say, they take him aside and give him further teaching. What they did was explain to him "the way of God more accurately".

I do like that line...explained the way of God more accurately. That's what we do when we teach others about God. We explain HIS way more accurately. If we don't, we're not teaching.

Anyways, what Apollos did with that explanation was to continue to be bold. And he was good at it. He was able to meet with the Jews in public and refute their beliefs and explain Christ from the scriptures. He was a big help to the believing community.

This reading by the way came from Acts 18.

So what do I do with the knowledge that God has given me? I have his word that I can read any old time I want to. I have knowledgeable teachers that I can go to. I have a preacher for a hubbie with an extensive library of commentaries...though not as extensive as he would like. So why am I not bold like Apollos? Apollos knew some, not all about Christ, and yet he taught without fear. And though I cannot say that I know all (far, far from it), I do know some, and therefore I should be bold to proclaim Christ. I should be bold to meet the objections from people around me. I should be able to refute their comments/arguments and so forth. Ah Lord, forgive my lack of boldness. Help me to stand up when I aught to.

No comments: