Monday, December 18, 2006

Advent Devotions - Dec 18

Every year our church gets advent devotionals from LAMP. This is a cross-cultural ministry that shares Jesus Christ with with God's people in remote areas of Canada. Their devotionals are small and written by people who participate in their ministry programs, particularly those held over the summer months.

Today's scripture is taken from Psalm 107 with a particular emphasis on verse 1.
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!
When I look at the whole of this psalm, I see a song of praise to God for all that he has done.

I see God has redeemed his people from trouble.
I see God has gathered his people in from all the lands.
I see God caring for his people, regardless of the situation they are found in.
I see God answering the call of his people in distress.
I see God being thanked for his steadfast love and for all the works he has done.
I see God satisfying the longing and hungry soul.
I see God disciplining his people.
I see God responding to his people when they realize how wrong they have been.
I see God even responding to those who were foolish, and because of that suffered.
I see God sending out his word to them, healing them, delivering them.
I see God controlling the wind and the waves.
I see God over and over and over again, delivering people from distress.
I see God over and over and over again, bringing people to a place of safe haven.

It is no wonder that people are encouraged over and over and over again to give thanks to the Lord for his steadfast love and for his wondrous works.

I see God bringing water into dry places.
I see God turning badness into goodness.
I see God giving people a place to live.
I see God blessing the people, helping them multiply, helping them with their work.
I see God helping the needy.
I see God blessing the upright in heart, and causing the wicked to be brought low.
I see God's steadfast love being considered by the wise of his people.

So we MUST give thanks to the Lord for all he has done. It only makes sense to do so. Wouldn't you want to thank someone for saving you? Thank someone for helping you? Thank God for rescuing you out of circumstances that you have done to your own self?

At Christmas, I am reminded of how I need to thank God for all that he has done.
He sent his own son to save me from my own sin.
At Christmas, I am drawn to remember God's steadfast love in my life.
He changed me from a person who disliked myself intensely, to a person who thinks that for a broken, sin-filled person, I am still a person that God loves, and that makes me okay.
At Christmas, I am reminded of all God's wondrous works.
He gave me a loving hubbie who treats me well, he gave a really nice boy to raise, he gave me a church family, that even with its faults and challenges, is still a source of blessing to me.

I will give thanks to God for his steadfast love, for his mercy extended to me, for saving me from myself and my sinful ways, for all his mighty works in my life.


Oh you people of God, give thanks to the LORD,
for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!

No comments: