Thursday, December 14, 2006

Advent Devotions - Dec 14

Today's devotion comes from United Church of Canada. Though I don't agree with much of what this church denominationally stands for, I can still use their site to generate thoughts and ideas for doing my advent devotions. :)

Today's scripture is Jeremiah 33:14-16
14"Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah. 15In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. 16In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will dwell securely. And this is the name by which it will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.'
Verse 14 - God says I will fulfill the promise I made.

God keeps his promises! He's not like you or me. The number of times that I forget to do something that I promised to do...it's nuts! But because I forget to ... oh...water the Christmas tree, or make supper on time, it makes it easier for me to "just let it go" when my hubbie forgets to do something....like wash the boys' favourite, very dirty stuffies, when the boy is fully distracted by being out of the house. It's like, I can just let it go. Mistakes happen. BUT just because I can let mistakes go with my hubbie, or with myself, or with anyone else, doesn't mean that I can expect God to go around making mistakes or breaking his promises. God is God. He is just so much more than you or I.

And in this passage we see that God doesn't forget the promises he makes. He doesn't go "oops, forgot that at one". He keeps them.

What promise did God make?

That one day he "will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land."

That day is fulfilled in Christ. Jesus Christ, the son of Mary and Joseph, the son of God, comes from the line of David. He was that, he is that, righteous offspring. He sits on the right hand of God RIGHT NOW, where he judges all things. And one day soon, he will come back to earth, as the reigning triumphal king, and will judge all things on earth.

Ah...the hope!

Ah...the joy of seeing God keep all of his promises.

The United Church closes its' devotional asking these questions -
Think about the promises of God. When have you responded with love, faith, or action? What promises have you made in your life to friends, family, community, or a stranger?


What do you do with the promises you have made?
What do you expect God to do with the promises he makes to you?
Do you expect him to keep promises?
Do you act like he does?

I don't know where I heard this anymore, but it was a preacher talking about something. He said that the reason that many Christians don't evangelize and don't live out their faith, or answers the questions of "why do you live this way?" when asked, is because they really don't expect God to keep his promises.

You know..those promises of "I will be with you always", "I won't give you anything to deal with that you can't handle", "I am your rock and your salvation, in whom do you fear?" and so on and forth.

That has stuck with me. And when I think of God's promises, I have to admit, sometimes they feel very remote to me. Like I know they are there, but not until I really need them or have to call upon them or anything. So therefore I don't think about them too much....but these verses, and seeing how God kept this promise, and I know how he keeps others, challenges me to think more about the Promises of God AND how I live my life in the light of them.

All I can do is pray: Heavenly Father, Forgive me for how often I live my life not really seeing, or counting on your promises to see me through all things. Teach me your promises, teach me about your "ever present help". Help me to daily see your promises. Help me to remember them so I don't have to do it all on my own. That I will always know, and therefore live, like a person who knows that you are with me ALL the time. Through your son's name I ask this. Amen.

No comments: