Monday, May 07, 2007

Encouragement and Example

I have to admit, today I feel a bit battered. Don't know why, just do. I feel distant from God, from the world, like I could just run away and hide somewhere.... but I don't have that luxury. I have a hubbie and child to care for. God has given me responsibilities in life and I must needs meet them.

I know that the best thing I can do when I feel like this is to merely cry out to God for refreshment, fulfillment and most importantly forgiveness.

And then today I also read from Hebrews 12 :
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
See the encouragement that has been placed before me? To just keep, keeping on.

In my study on 1 Thessalonians that I have with a couple other ladies I was struck by how God lets us imitate others and in turn has others imitate us.
6And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 7so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia.
So I can't let myself get bogged down by what I think or feel. It doesn't really reflect reality. God LOVES ME. He has set a clear and straight path before me. All I need to do is keep going. If I look to Christ I am enabled to set aside that which bogs me down, that which slows my progress, and know that Christ will indeed perfect my faith, for he is the one that it is founded upon. If I follow the encouragement that the Hebrews author places before me, then I can be the encouragement that others might need. I can be one that others can imitate. If I don't, then what kind of example am I?

Anyways, that's where I'm at today. All Praise and Glory be to God.

1 comment:

jen said...

Praying for you. These things pass, and you're giving a fine example by pressing on.

(((hugs)))