Monday, May 28, 2007

Does this explain?

One of the things I often hear from people who don't believe in God is that religious belief is the construct of one's own mind.

When I was reading in Isaiah this morning, chapter 29 I came across these verses:
15Ah, you who hide deep from the LORD your counsel,
whose deeds are in the dark,
and who say, "Who sees us? Who knows us?"
16You turn things upside down!
Shall the potter be regarded as the clay,
that the thing made should say of its maker,
"He did not make me";
or the thing formed say of him who formed it,
"He has no understanding"?
Do these verses explain then the futility of such an argument? I've always thought that it was a silly argument to make, but I never really knew how to respond to it. These verses appear to give me the answer.

Granted, if I'm talking with someone who really doesn't believe in the bible either, they probably wouldn't accept it, but at least they help me better understand the futility of such an argument.

Huh...rather neat I think. :) See how God met a need even before I was fully aware of it?

1 comment:

Baxter said...

How awesome is the mind of the Lord! :)