Saturday, November 25, 2006

1 Peter 1

I have to admit, I enjoy reading the books of Peter. They contain some of my favourite verses. :) When I saw that I was to read from 1 Peter today it was like my heart smiled. :) Kinda like when you've been away from home for a while and are tired and walk in the door to a nice clean home.

Peter wrote this book to a bunch of Christian exiles "To those who are elect exiles of the dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia". People probably driven out of their homes due to persecution for their faith. I can read these verses as though they belong to me though. In a way, I too am an exile. yes, I am born and bred Canadian, but I am not just Canadian. I am also a believer, and as such, my true home is elsewhere.

Read this verse, isn't it wonderful?
3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Wow...isn't it just filled with hope and wonder? God's mercy is the only reason by which we are saved. He send this son to die AND THEN be raised from the dead. This is our hope, it is alive. We are saved to an inheritance which will NEVER disappear, that will never become less than it is now, and will never diminish in any way. Isn't that just so cool. Lifts my spirit every time I read it. And not only that...imagine that this salvation, and our faith, is guarded by the one and only TRUE GOD? Yes, my fellow believers, our faith is secure, our hope is true, and God protects us and it for all time.

Wow, it just does my heart good. I don't have to do it all on my own. I have God on my side. Isn't it comforting to know that?

So of course Peter can continue with this words
6In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
It is a matter of rejoicing to know that God is on your side. It means that in times of persecution you know deep inside of yourself that it's going to be okay, regardless of what happens.

I know in Canada we don't face life or death persecution as believers yet. I do believe that a time is coming though when being Christian in Canada will be something that is highly discouraged. It's already becoming that way. Sometimes I fear for my boy, wondering what will await him in his adult years if God calls him to himself as a believer. I wonder what I can do now to prepare his heart and his mind for the trials that I am sure will come his way. I do know that God will stand by him, and hold him in his power, but I still sometimes wonder. Makes me want to really parent him well in the Lord.

It's no wonder, since I know and feel God's power in my life, that I can agree with Peter's next verses
8Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
I haven't seen Jesus, I didn't walk the earth when he did. And knowing Jesus you know God. But still, I believe and acknowledge his existence. I know and love God my Father. Even though I haven't seen him, I know that he is real. And I love him dearly. :) What about you? Do you know that God is real? Do you love him?

I have to admit, I really don't quite get these next couple of verses.
10Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, 11inquiring what person or time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. 12It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.
All I really understand from them is that The prophets worked for our knowledge and understanding. They didn't work for themselves but for us so that we might know God better and know what to look for. If anyone out there has a better understanding of these verses, please share.

These next verses are a call to action.
3Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." 17And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, 18knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. 20He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for your sake, 21who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
Knowing what we know, believing as we believe. WE MUST ACT. We, as believers, have been called away from living as our bodies might desire. We don't have to stay stuck in our sin. BUT it takes action and will power and desire and choice on our part. That requires us being sober-minded so that we can think through our actions. We need to prepare our minds for what we are about to do. That means, setting our mind on Christ and the things of Christ. Of knowing that God calls us to be like him. he is holy, we are to be holy. In fact, he declares us to be holy already. that means living like holy people, not living like sin-bound, sin-filled ones that have no holiness attached to them. I must live what I am and what I am to be: HOLY.

And living a life of holiness means that I want to be obedient to Christ and his call on my life.
22Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 23since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; 24for
"All flesh is like grass
and all its glory like the flower of grass.
The grass withers,
and the flower falls,
25but the word of the Lord remains forever."
And this word is the good news that was preached to you.
So I must love my fellow believers with a sincere heart. With a heart that follows after God's imperishable word. This is what is taught to us by our pastors and preachers. We must heed it.

Ah....isn't Peter just grand? Reminds me of who I am, reminds of what I am to be, and calls me to further and better action. Imagine it .... me a believer in God, called to be holy? :) Just too cool....

Now to get on with it........

No comments: