Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Discipline is a Form of Love

I have to admit, I never really thought of it this way before.
That parents who don't discipline their children, are treating them as if they don't really belong to their families. As if they are illegitimate.

So discipline is a form of true love for one's own family. It's a sign of caring for the one that you are correcting. From Hebrews 12:8
"If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons."
Quite frankly, this I think is needed in more families, and quite frankly, if it shows that I belong, truly belong to a body, I'll take that discipline which is offered in love and belonging, over not having it at all.

I have to admit, I HATE being told that I am wrong. I hate it. Almost as much as I hate being told what to do (which in some ways to me implies that I am doing something wrong). STUPID yes, I know. AND a tendency within myself I fear that I will have to fight 'til the day I die. :( BUT hear what God has to say
For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he (that is God) disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (i added the italics)
It's not fun to be disciplined (which is probably why I hate it) BUT it is necessary. It helps me to grow and become more the person that God wants me to be.
12Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, 13and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.
Do you see it? Because discipline is for my own good, I am to lift up my sadness and droopiness over being disciplined, I am to strengthen myself, I am to get myself going on a straight path so that I can be healed and not be put out. Isn't that cool? Discipline really should be seen as a good thing. (now if only I can really convince myself of that.) :) I am on my way. Sometimes I just wish it could be a little easier to take.

How do you all handle discipline? Is it something that you fight? How do you keep yourself receptive to it?

If you want to know more about discipline, check out this passage for yourself. Feel free to leave me your thoughts.

No comments: