Monday, March 26, 2007

Proverbs

I have to admit, sometimes I find Proverbs a fascinating read, and other times I find it as boring as all get out. I know, I shouldn't think of them in such a way, as all of the word of God is inspired, but how many times can a person read that foolish people can be such idiots? But if in my 'frustration' I stop and consider what Proverbs is actually saying it doesn't seem so boring or frustrating, but filled with wisdom and good sense. Today I saw more of the wisdom.

Today I read from Proverbs 13
1A wise son hears his father's instruction,
but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke.
How true this? Really? We've in all of our lifetimes, seen children who just want to do their own thing. Parents, usually, want to protect their children and give them all the best in terms of stuff and advice and how to live ones' life. They don't always do so perfectly, but they give it their best shot for the most part. A wise child will listen, doesn't mean they will always take the advice of their parent, but they will really hear what is being said.
3Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life;
he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.
I have to admit, this one made me sit up and listen today. Jim and I had a discussion the other day about how often I will say things, and not really know what I have said. I tend to say "no, I didn't say that". and he'll say yes, you actually did. It flusters me and reminds me of how I need to try to slow my mouth down so my brain can actually function well!
10By insolence comes nothing but strife,
but with those who take advice is wisdom.
Haven't we all, also seen this? Those who just want to do things their way find that life is difficult around them? They'll get in trouble with the law, have a hard time finding/keeping a job, have a hard time keeping and making good friends and so forth. These are people who just don't heed good advice. But for those who actually hear what is said to them, for them life is easier. Wisdom makes for a better life.
12Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.
I have to admit, this line leaves me wondering a bit. As New Testament believers we know that Christ will return for us. It is part of our hope. And yet he is not here yet. Does that mean that we are deferring our hope? Are our hearts destined to become sick?

And yet, my heart isn't sick. It mourns sometimes for the pain and suffering in this world, but it doesn't feel sick to me. My hope is still a constant desire for Christ's return. So.... what do I do with this verse? Any thoughts?
13Whoever despises the word brings destruction on himself,
but he who reveres the commandment will be rewarded.
14The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life,
that one may turn away from the snares of death.
These verses make all the sense in the world to me. Those who follow God find that life is better. Maybe not always in a physical sense, but in a real internal knowing sense, life is better with God. Following his word is taking the best advice ever, and it will turn me away from the snares of this world, the snares of death.
17A wicked messenger falls into trouble,
but a faithful envoy brings healing.
I have to admit, this verse makes me say "duh". Of course a wicked messenger brings trouble. This is just common sense. A faithful envoy/messenger will not bring trouble. I'm not sure about the healing part....but without trouble there is more apt to be peace, and where there is peace, there is more potential for health.

No comments: