Monday, March 05, 2007

Contemplating Switching your dogs diet?

I've had a few people mention to me that they are considering switching their dog from a "dog food" diet to a "more natural" diet. :)

One of the yahoo groups that I am on pointed me to this resource.

US Raw Meaty Bones. This is a site that follows the Lonsdale approach to feeding, which is meat and bones only. No veggies and no leftovers, just meat and bones. It's not a bad way to feed. I add leftovers and veggies to my dog food simply because 1. makes it cheaper for me. 2. I can't abide wasting all the leftovers my son leaves behind. 3. my dogs (well at least one of them) will dig carrots out of the garden, and picks raspberries, I figure if she wants them, I'll give them to her in an easier to digest format! :) But many dogs will benefit from a straight meat and bones diet AND you know it's better for them in the long run.

Anyways, this site is VERY United States based. It's a US group so that makes sense. BUT it comes with a handy "Work Wonders" guide. This PDF guide lists the benefits of raw feeding, how to get started, gives sample menus and such like. It's a good resource. SO if you are thinking of making a switch, please check it out.

On that note: a couple of people have mentioned that feeding bone alarms them. Um... it shouldn't. Dogs have teeth, they have powerful jaws, they can handle bone...as long as the bone you give them is reasonable for the size of the dog. Don't go feeding huge weight bearing bones to any dog (they can damage their teeth) but a big dog can handle ribs, a small dog can handle chicken wings. IF you are really concerned about bones, grind them up! Grinders can be purchased relatively easily, OR you can buy pre-ground food. Note that this latter option is not as cost-effective for you, but it will go a long way to easing one's mind if bones are a concern for you. My best advice is to start easy...pick something that is easy for the dogs to eat. If you have a largish dog go for pork ribs. They tend to soft with just a few harder areas. OR do chicken legs or necks. For small dogs...start with whole chicken wings, or a chicken neck.

On another note. A guy in Belgium did a study. Those who feed a more natural diet find that their dogs live longer. You can read the synopsis of his report here. (it is also in PDF format) It can make a different of almost 2 years if I remember correctly.

No comments: