Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Wisdom and Understanding.

Today I was reading from Job 28, I came across these verses which reminded me of just where wisdom comes from.
23"God understands the way to it,
and he knows its place.
24For he looks to the ends of the earth
and sees everything under the heavens.
25When he gave to the wind its weight
and apportioned the waters by measure,
26when he made a decree for the rain
and a way for the lightning of the thunder,
27then he saw it and declared it;
he established it, and searched it out.
28And he said to man,
'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding.'"
Throughout this whole chapter Job is searching out the places where people find wisdom. In the earth, in the sky, on land, in the sea, it can't be bought or sold and so forth. All he comes up with is this :
20"From where, then, does wisdom come?
And where is the place of understanding?
21It is hidden from the eyes of all living
and concealed from the birds of the air.
I have to admit. I don't see myself as a wise person.
I don't have a great memory.
I 0ften don't phrase things the way I want to.
I'm not "well-read of non-fiction books".
I have moments of wisdom to be sure, but I don't tend to think of myself as wise.

But I do have a fear of the Lord. I see him, I see his majesty, I see what he has wrought in this world, and has wrought within me and I am just in awe of him.

I know that I cannot stand against him. And that very fact humbles me. That very fact puts me in the proper respect and fear of him.

I then I read the second part of this line "to turn away from evil is understanding". Wow... I think I have more understanding to do, but I am trying. :) I will admit, I do fail. But when I look at wisdom and understanding.... I think I just might be stepping in the right direction. :)

3 comments:

jen said...

Here's one I take great comfort in:

For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”
1 Cor. 1:26-31

Isn't that beautiful?

Annette said...

yes Jen, it is beautiful. I've been looking for some scripture here and there to memorize. I hadn't thought of these verses... I should be able to memorize these! :) They give a good purpose too, don't they?

jen said...

Absolutely! To God be the glory!