Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Songs I learned as a Child

I was reading from Luke 6 today and I came to these verses.
12In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. 13And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles: 14Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, 15and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, 16and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.
They reminded me of a song I learned as a child, I think in Sunday School, but it could have been in VBS or Calvinettes. I found it over at the Cyber Hymnal.
There were twelve disciples Jesus called to help him:
Simon Peter, Andrew, James, his brother John,
Philip, Thomas, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus,
Thaddeus, Simon, Judas, and Bartholomew.
He has called us, too. He has called us, too.
We are His disciples, I am one and you!
He has called us, too. He has called us, too.
We are His disciples, I am one and you!
This Of course reminded me of songs I learned to learn the New Testament books.
I found it here. You can find the music for it there as well.
Books of the New Testament

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John,

Acts and the letter to the Romans,
First and Second Corinthians, Galatians and Ephesians,
Philippians, Colossians, First and Second Thessalonians,
First and Second Timothy, Titus and Philemon,
Hebrews, James, First and Second Peter,
First and Second and Third John, Jude and Revelation.
INCREDIBLY helpful to know a tune to learn where the books of the bible are. I also learned that there are some different songs and tunes to learning the Old Testament books. Here are a couple of places you can go to learn those. One and two.

I know I plan to use them to teach our boy the books of the bible. I'm sure they'll save him just as much time as they have saved me over the years. :)

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I remember those songs. Though the NT one I learned was a bit different.

Annette said...

i found a few different ones, this is the one I learned though. It caught me by surprise when I learned that others my age never learned it and still struggle with finding the books of the bible.

So glad my teachers were faithful in helping me learn this. :)

Leigh Ann said...

You know, there is so much that can be learned through song. We are trying to learn the Psalms through the Psalter. We go to a PCA church and there is a lady in the denomination (I think?) that has put the Westminister Shorter Catechism to music. I can't think of her name, but I want to check them out because I want to learn them too.

Annette said...

hey, that would be interesting.

Gives me ideas about doing the heidelberg catechism.... making up songs comes fairly easy to me, even if sometimes they are just silly ones for my boy child.

If you do find the music, would you be willing to share it with me?