Thursday, February 15, 2007

Do you evangelize?

In this second chapter of 1 Corinthians, Paul wants his listeners to know that HE (as in he a person) is not the end all and be all. He wants them to know Christ. Just Christ and what Christ did for them. Nothing else is to be deemed important. Not how he talks, looks or feels. All that is important is the Gospel of Christ.

The very fact that Paul comes to them is an example of the work of the Spirit within us. As Paul says
"3And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."
I was on a blog the other day, it made me think. The blog that I was on was very pro "street evangelism" Preaching on the street, handing out tracts and such like. He called Christians who did not join him (so that they could stay home watching tv or doing whatever) pathetic and lazy. I have to admit, to a certain extent I agree with him, not with what he is calling such believers - as I really don't think that we should be dissing other believers, but their actions are such (lazy and pathetic). He also didn't care too much for the idea of friendship evangelism or volunteering as believers. I found that attitude somewhat offensive.

I asked my hubbie what he thought about it (as I was certain that I was probably missing an important why) and he said that most people when they talk about friendship evangelism, or when they do volunteering, they don't bring Christ into the equation at all. yes, they do "friendship" evangelism in that they have friends who are non-believers, but don't actually ever present the gospel to them. They volunteer but mainly just to have something to do.

This made sense to me, and it rang a chord within. Now I understood why this fellow was so... reach the masses, had out tracts, stand firm for God, make sure that people hear the message. Why he firmly believed that Christians who do not care about the gospel fervently are pathetic and lazy. And I felt convicted.

It made me think, what do I do? What do I do really for the sake of the gospel?
Yes I teach Sunday School. Yes, I am hoping to raise my boy in the fear and trembling and sheer love of God. Yes, I have non-believing friends that I hope will come to faith someday. Yes, I tithe and support missionaries. But what do I do, really? How do I show my reliance on God in situations that seem too much for me?

I have to admit, I don't have all the answers yet.

What I do know is this: I am hoping next year to start volunteering with our son at different places in town. He'll be old enough to help out with things. I want him to know, and I want others to know, that we are helping out, not because we just want something to do, or that we want to make friends or anything. But that we are serving them as service to the Lord God.

Please pray that I can be bold enough in the Spirit himself to actually convey that. Thanks, now back to our study :)

Paul came to the Corinthians in fear and trembling. He showed the power of God at work within him. It also showed his utter faith and trust in God. Through God, the message was presented to the Corinthians people.

He is not saying that was he says isn't wise, but it is not the wisdom of men that he imparts. What he tells them is the
"secret and hidden wisdom of God".

God's wisdom is not easily understood. Face it, how many of us would allow our son, our ONLY son, to die for a bunch of people who didn't deserve it? How many of us would be nice to a whole whack of people who time and time and time again, by their actions, spat in our face? God did this. God chose to show us grace when we did not in any way shape or form deserve it.
"What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him"--

The Spirit of God helps us understand the things of God. It is the Spirit of God who searches all things, even the very depth of God. He knows our thoughts. He knows God's thoughts. In this Spirit, that we receive upon coming to faith in Christ, is the one that helps us interpret spiritual truth. So when we understand, truly understand the words of God, it is not MY wisdom, it is not YOUR wisdom that brings that understanding, it is the Spirit himself at work in us. Through the spirit we have the mind of Christ.

No comments: