Monday, March 26, 2007

Love Incorruptible

hmm.... this verse in Ephesians 6 caught my eye.
23Peace be to the brothers, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 24Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with love incorruptible.
Paul says "with love incorruptible".

So just what is Love Incorruptible?

One look dictionary tells me that incorruptible is an adjective and means "incapable of being morally corrupted". I thought it meant a bit more than that, so looked then at what is means to be corrupt.

To be corrupt means:
  • verb: corrupt morally or by intemperance or sensuality (Example: "Socrates was accused of corrupting young men")
  • verb: alter from the original
  • verb: make illegal payments to in exchange for favors or influence
  • verb: place under suspicion or cast doubt upon
  • adjective: containing errors or alterations (Example: "A corrupt text")
  • adjective: lacking in integrity (Example: "Humanity they knew to be corrupt...from the day of Adam's creation")
  • adjective: touched by rot or decay (Example: "`corrupt' is archaic")
  • adjective: not straight; dishonest or immoral or evasive

  • So something that is corrupted is something that is not as it should be. Whether that be via moral grounds, natural decay (which is the result of sin), or something just not as it should be.

    So to love incorruptibly means that one is loving the way that they should be.

    Can I honestly say that I love Christ the way I should?

    Hmm... I suppose if I look at all of Christianity that way.... that makes it easier I suppose in someways to know where I am failing. Am I doing all for Christ the way I should be, or am I being influenced by 'outside stuff' to not do what I want?

    Hmm....stuff to think on.

    No comments: