Thursday, March 22, 2007

Interesting Posts

Following my post on discernment, I was sent this article, which was done by New Attitude.
First, you can commend different books to different people for different reasons. This seems pretty obvious when we’re not talking theology. Homer is read for his literary merits and historical significance, but not as a guide to ethics.

Sometimes certain books cannot be recommended to certain people at all, because they presently lack the discernment to benefit from it, though later in life they might profitably read it. Hemingway may have a lot to offer but we should take his books out of the hands of our chronically depressed friends.

The same principle applies to the theology we read. No non-biblical writer is infallible. We’ll often need to temper our recommendations to the person we’re talking to. For young Christians and people still growing in discernment, we have to be extra cautious in what we recommend.
I thought that Sun and Shield discussion on Origins was interesting. Made me think, how thorough am I when I consider arguments about what I believe about creation.

This fellow, with a blog name much to long to write, (yes I'm lazy this morning) wrote a post on how Jerusalem is central to Luke's writings.

THEOdyssey deals with the bodily resurrection of Christ in this post.
noticed a scholar by the name of John Crossan who said that if there was not a bodily Resurrection it would not challenge his faith. Because his faith was not based on what God did with bodies. I do not agree that we can get rid of the concept of a bodily Resurrection and maintain an Orthodox Christian faith. This is because I think it violates what the scriptures teach.
Amanda at Imago Dei gives us this post on What is Grace.

Grace is a free gift from God. Romans 6:23 says that the wages of sin are death but the gift of God is eternal life!

Salvation is a work of God for man, rather than a work of man for God. No aspect of salvation, according to the Bible, is made to depend, even in the slightest degree, on human merit or works.

What can I say, I like word studies, so this post by Participatory Bible studies caught my eye.

Is the argument for Biblical Inerrancy a new one? Parableman thinks not.
Now I've always thought the biblical authors would be shocked at any suggestion that there were errors in any genuinely divinely-inspired scripture. I think there are reasons for thinking this in the various parts of the canon. But Jesus and the authors of the epistles very clearly saw the psalms as authoritative in a way that they would base arguments on particular words. Clearly they took the psalms seriously.
Don't know what hypercalvinists are? I didn't for a while, but blogging tends to introduce them. :) Anyways, Rebecca of Rebecca writes talks about Hypercalvinits.

No comments: