Monday, February 26, 2007

What do I Covet?

I was also reading in Luke 12 this morning, and these words spoke to my very heart.
13Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." 14But he said to him, "Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?" 15And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." 16And he told them a parable, saying, "The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17and he thought to himself, 'What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?' 18And he said, 'I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.' 20But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?' 21So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God."
I have learned that I like blogging. I like sharing stories about my family, sharing emails that I receive, sharing what I am learning during my devotions. I like the "somewhat accountability" of having a place to post my devotions so that I remember that keep having them. To keep thinking about what I read. THAT is the primary reason for me to keep THIS blog. I have blogs for other things, but this blog's primary focus is a place for me to be accountable in my devotional life. My prayer is to grow as a believer and to, if possible, encourage others to know the marvellous God that I serve, and to encourage them in their walk with him.

But lately I find myself wishing two things
1. that other bloggers that I really respect would notice me and put me up on their blogs
2. that more and more people find me and comment on me

I covet these things.

This is NOT good. It is sin. I don't know what God holds for me, but I know in this coveting, that I turn from God and see myself and my needs only.

And for that I must repent before my living Lord and say God, I'm sorry. Help me to keep MY focus on YOU. Not on others, not on comments, not on getting noticed, but on you and you alone. Help me My Father God to see you in my devotions, not just in what I can say that might get people to talk back to me. Continue to have your Holy Spirit guide as I read your word that I might be changed by you. This I pray through your son's name, amen.

4 comments:

jen said...

I think coveting the fellowship is a good thing -- I covet interaction on my blog for that reason. I don't covet popularity because I think the pressure is on then and I couldn't meet it. :)

Paul said:
But covet (desire) earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. 1 Corinthians 12:31

Of course, only you and God know the motives of your heart. And if He has convicted you, I wouldn't want to mess with that.

The whole of chapter 12 is talking about unity of the body and our need for each other. I don't think it's a huge jump to say that fellowship with one another is a good and desirable gift.

We all need each other.

jen said...

I don't covet popularity because I think the pressure is on then and I couldn't meet it.

Well, that sounded kind of pathetic! :( It was incomplete. Of course, the main gist of your post seemed to be about Christ having his rightful place in our hearts, and you are certainly right about that. I wouldn't want to desire popularity because it would take my focus off Him. I guess I just meant that pressure I couldn't handle would also be an end result of seeking popularity.

I was just trying to separate the desire for popularity from the desire for fellowship.

Annette said...

Jen, thank you. I was having some trouble separating the two.

I notice sometimes with my devotions I try to think, what can I write on this that will touch others, and perhaps make them think. That's a popularity thing I think. I also tend to "feel off" for the rest of the day as if I didn't do my devotions. This mornings' reading pointed out very clearly to me as to why that is. The motive is wrong.

My devotions should be for me and for God, for no other reason.

I LOVE, actually just love it when people comment on my blog. Even just the good posts...and I've noticed...those comments come when I really am just focusing on God and his word....kinda like God saying see...I will bless you when you do what is right. Kinda cool that! :) I love meeting new people, and learning who they are. I love being challenged to think about things differently once in a while.

So I wanted do say THANKS for helping me to see the differences between things more clearly. :)

jen said...

I was hoping what I was saying was helpful, and not hurtful, presumptuous, or --shudder!-- sanctimonious.

Part of it too, is that for a person to have friends, they must show themselves friendly. IOW, getting out to other blogs and interacting. Which I've seen you do. I found you through Rebecca Writes from a comment you made or a poem you posted -- I can't remember which.