Monday, February 12, 2007

Some Devotional Ramblings.....

From Romans 15 comes this verse :
For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings.
I was just reading, feeling tired since I was waken up early, having a hard time focusing on what I was reading, and this verse kinda said... HEY! Made me think. You know how missionairies come to talk, or displaced Christians come to talk about missions or life as a believer in the land they came from. Often they ask for money to support their work or their people. ... well this verse points out why we should do that. If we share with others spiritually, then we should care for them materially as well. So it's not just duty that causes people to share with us about what they are doing, it is also to share the blessings of their work ... so that spiritually we can share with them the joys and sorrows of what they are doing/were doing. By doing so, we have a "duty" to help them out physically. I hope that made sense, I think my tired brain isn't functioning as well as it aught! :)

I also read from Mark 15 this morning. Therein I found these verses
1And as soon as it was morning, the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole Council. And they bound Jesus and led him away and delivered him over to Pilate. 2And Pilate asked him, "Are you the King of the Jews?" And he answered him, "You have said so." 3And the chief priests accused him of many things. 4And Pilate again asked him, "Have you no answer to make? See how many charges they bring against you." 5But Jesus made no further answer, so that Pilate was amazed.
I have read the passages of Jesus' crucifixion over and over and over again. It has become one of those stories I know well, as it should for any believer. But "Pilate was amazed". This was a part I didn't remember. I remembered that Pilate didn't know what to do with Jesus. To Pilate it seemed obvious that Jesus deserved none of what was happening to him. He merely assented to his death in order to keep the people happy. And here I read "But Jesus made no further answer, so that Pilate was amazed."

I suppose I can understand that. Pilate would be used to innocent people screaming or crying or proclaiming or otherwise making it known that they were innocent of all charges. And here is Jesus, quietly standing before him. The charges have been read. Pilate asks "are you the king of the Jews" and Jesus only response is "You have said so" and that's it. Not a word further. And yet Pilate knew Jesus was innocent. But Jesus said nothing. If it were me in that position I think I would have been amazed as well.

Shows how Jesus CHOSE to die for us.
Shows how Jesus didn't have to, but he did.

The depths of love, the depths of grace shown us.
Jesus suffered beatings, mockings, crucifixion, and death for us.
Jesus felt totally abandoned by God.

He did this for one reason only..... so that God could show his love for us by showing us mercy. Through Jesus' death, God's grace was showcased.

like a lamb he went.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some truths you dug out of your devotions!

Interesting stuff indeed-- that Jesus was able to keep quiet whereas others Pilate had seen would have raised a ruckus!

Annette said...

thank you for stopping by, I find it interesting sometimes what the Holy Spirit points out to me when I studied the word. Makes me think abit instead of just saying...but I know this story. :)