Anyways, I was reading from Mark 10 this morning and came across this story:
46And they came to Jericho. And as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the roadside. 47And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 48And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" 49And Jesus stopped and said,As I read this story, the book came to my mind. How Bartimaeus kept calling out, Jesus, Jesus! Regardless of what those around him said. He didn't stop. He didn't take the rebukes offered him.
"Call him."And they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take heart. Get up; he is calling you." 50And throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. 51And Jesus said to him, "What do you want me to do for you?"And the blind man said to him, "Rabbi, let me recover my sight." 52And Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well."And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.
And did Jesus ignore him? No. In fact, he said to those around him... call him. His listeners did what Jesus asked.
Bartimaeus could have been struck with stage fright, but no, he immediately jumped up, threw off his cloak even, and went over to Jesus.
When Jesus asked him what he wanted...Bartimaeus was not slow to respond. He immediately told Jesus that he wanted to see.
Jesus granted his request. Why? Because of Bartimaeus' faith. For no other reason.
Bartimaeus followed Jesus as he immediately recovered his sight.
Just makes me stop and have to think.
1. how often do I just call out to Jesus?
2. how often do I let the cares of this world keep me from continuing to call out to him?
3. when Jesus says come, do I immediately jump up and go? Am I so impatient to get to Jesus that I will throw off whatever hinders me so I can get there quicker?
4. when Jesus says, how can I help you? Do I stammer around or do I just tell the basic story. Jesus, I want to see.
5. Do I have faith that Jesus would answer my request?
6. When he does answer me, do I follow him from then on?
Sometimes I have to admit, I fail in this. I let myself be sidetracked by the rebukes of the world. I am often silenced when I should not be. God forgive me for this. Help me not to be silent. Help me to immediately leave whatever needs to be left so I can just come at your call.