Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Here Is God

I know that in the book of Job, his friends don't always give him good advice. They challenge him in a variety of ways. I also have to admit, I don't know the book of Job as well as I aught. I know the basic outline. Rich man, loves God, Righteous, Makes atonement for the sins his children MIGHT have committed, Satan has to ask God for permission to go after him, and God does so.

But I was reading in Job 5 this morning and I came across these lines.

8"As for me, I would seek God,
and to God would I commit my cause,
9who does great things and unsearchable,
marvelous things without number:
10he gives rain on the earth
and sends waters on the fields;
11he sets on high those who are lowly,
and those who mourn are lifted to safety.
12He frustrates the devices of the crafty,
so that their hands achieve no success.
13He catches the wise in their own craftiness,
and the schemes of the wily are brought to a quick end.
14They meet with darkness in the daytime
and grope at noonday as in the night.
15But he saves the needy from the sword of their mouth
and from the hand of the mighty.
16So the poor have hope,
and injustice shuts her mouth.

17"Behold, blessed is the one whom God reproves;
therefore despise not the discipline of the Almighty.
18For he wounds, but he binds up;
he shatters, but his hands heal.
19He will deliver you from six troubles;
in seven no evil shall touch you.
20In famine he will redeem you from death,
and in war from the power of the sword.
21You shall be hidden from the lash of the tongue,
and shall not fear destruction when it comes.
22At destruction and famine you shall laugh,
and shall not fear the beasts of the earth.
23For you shall be in league with the stones of the field,
and the beasts of the field shall be at peace with you.
24You shall know that your tent is at peace,
and you shall inspect your fold and miss nothing.
25You shall know also that your offspring shall be many,
and your descendants as the grass of the earth.
26You shall come to your grave in ripe old age,
like a sheaf gathered up in its season.
27Behold, this we have searched out; it is true.
Hear, and know it for your good."
It is all praise to God. God and all that he does.
He is the one who should be sought in the midst of calamity.

Look to God first when all kinds of things happen. God controls all the good and all the bad. He punishes those who need it. He also heals those who need it.

I do think that in this passage Job's friend is saying...you must have done something to deserve this calamity. And I'm thinking that Job might disagree with that assessment...but that would take further reading. :) But his friend is offering the assurance that God does know what he is doing so Job should look to God first.

It's a good reminder for me anyways, to check with God first before wallowing in whatever grief has come my way. To consider what God would have first... that is a good thing to always remember.

No comments: