Saturday, February 03, 2007

He Marveled.....

Today my one of my readings was from Mark 6. (and yes Kim, I looked it up, I am following the McCheyne Plan). :) Anyways, when I was reading this passage seemed important today.

Lately I've been feeling like I've been beat around the head by life. Why? Who knows, it's just a part of life. I hope, that for the most part, I haven't been making the lives of my loved ones miserable. But sometimes life just seems to weigh a person down.

Last night the boy managed to make me laugh, this morning the older dog made me laugh. Laughter often seems to make the weight seem lighter....don't you ever find that? Anyways, this passage just kinda struck me this morning.

The first six verses of Mark 6.
1He went away from there and came to his hometown, and his disciples followed him. 2And on the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things? What is the wisdom given to him? How are such mighty works done by his hands? 3Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him. 4And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household." 5And he could do no mighty work there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching.
Do you see it? Do you see that Jesus himself marveled at the unbelief displayed around him?

I read that and I was stunned.

Yes, I marveled that Jesus marveled! :)

To marvel means: to express astonishment or surprise about something

So often I ask my hubbie....what do people think? Why do they do thus and such? How can someone conceive of doing _____________ (some atrocity) He often says, sin. We are sinners at heart. He doesn't ever seemed stunned. And sometimes I feel a bit stupid or naive, but some of the things that I see and learn about in this world just stun me with how "ick" they are. And when I meet people that wrongly interpret scripture and yet are very fervent for the gospel (i.e. people who say that homosexuality is right, that scripture supports abortion and such like) I am stunned. I marvel at how stuck in their wrongness they are.

So reading this today makes me really see Christ's humanity as well. Makes me able to identify just a tad bit more with Christ.

I know that Christ was divine and human. I know this. I know that as God he knows everything. That marveling at the refusal of his own people to acknowledge him just seems out of character in a way. But it shows his humanity.... it just does.

No, I don't have any profound insights. This is just where it is at for me today.

Christ marveled at his own people. They managed to astonish him.

So when I am astonished at the world today, I am in good company. :)

No comments: