Monday, February 05, 2007

Groans too deep for words

I had no time this morning for devotions. It seemed so rush rush this morning.

Monday's are Jim's day off. He likes to get out of town and away from the house. And the weather wasn't looking too good for travel, so we left early with plans to get back early. It worked well. For us, Justin was not so impressed. he napped on the way down, and then didn't want to nap for gramma, so one tired boy! No late nap for him because we left early. He napped in the car on the way home and then was so tired and so grumpy that I gave him a bottle of milk, gave him his meds and then cuddled him for a while. So tired and so needing his momma.

Anyways, walked the dogs and then thought... I can have my devotions while they are having their supper. They are having a big chicken carcass each tonight so it will be spell before they are done.

Well, I was reading from Romans 8 tonight, these verses
26Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
Reading this brought back to mind a conversation between my Mother-in-law and myself. I have no problem praying a short prayer before meals, or even a longer prayer before meals, while the TV is on. She says that doing so is being disrespectful to God. I don't agree as I can tune out the TV, pray, and then eat. To me, prayer is conversation with God, so just as I can talk with a person while the TV is on, so I can talk with God while the TV is on. Our conversation ended on a note to agree to disagree on this point. I do wonder a wee bit if she has a point, but then I also think that my point is valid too. I don't know. What do you think?

God knows my heart. He knows what I mean when I pray even though I often feel inadequate about how I say my prayers. The Holy Spirit puts things in a way that are good and right and fitting for God's ears. This to me is a huge comfort. It doesn't negate me of the responsibility to take prayer seriously. It is GOD after all that I am communicating with. So I have to consider what I am saying. I have to try to pray in a way that shows that I truly want his will done. That I truly care for the larger body of believers. That I truly care for more than me, myself and I. That HIS will and HIS way is what I truly desire. I have to admit, I don't always succeed in that. :) And that is why I find it a huge comfort that the Holy Spirit helps me.
(the) Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
He prays, he intercedes for me with deep, deep groanings. Groanings that are too deep for words.

Reminds me of a time when I was in Calvinettes and Rika was praying for us girls and she cried out to God for us. She wanted so much for us to know and love God. She had tears streaming down her face as she groaned before God for us.

I know that's not quite the same as what the Holy Spirit does for us, but that's the picture that comes to my mind. That deep, deep groaning of intercession. That always giving prayer for me that is always within the will of God. HE DOES THAT FOR ME.

it is indeed a comfort to me.

No comments: