Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Burning Bush

Reading today from Exodus 3.

Moses is married, has children, keeps the sheep for his dad. He's just a normal man out there taking care of his family. Just minding his own business...and what happens to him? ACK!!!
2And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed.
Now does Moses act all alarmed? NO, he merely says
"I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned."
And we learn this:
4When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." 5Then he said, "Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground." 6And he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

The only time Moses showed fear was when he learned it was GOD he was facing.

I read that and I thought to myself, do I show God my awe and respect when I am face to face with him? And if so, HOW do I show it?

Moses hid his face. What do I do?

I know that in worship I will often remove my shoes (part of that is I don't like wearing shoes, and part of that is "it seems right to me"). I know that I will lift my hands in worship. There are times when I'm learning something I will say '... wow ... God __________ (whatever that has just wowed me). But I don't hide my face (unless I'm ashamed of something I did) and then it's more of a turning away so I don't have to deal with God so directly. And yes, that's more of a figurative turning because it's not like God is standing right there in front of me.

So I also ask, is it important to show fear of the Lord?
And is there a "proper" way to go about doing so?
Is there a good way to properly show God that sometimes I'm just so in awe of him and the things that he does, or does just my heart attitude matter?

What do you think?

No comments: