Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Gentleness, not glory seeking

Remembering that Paul and his companions came in the boldness that they had in God, we continue to discover their attitude as they served to Thessalonican church. Read these verses from 1 Thessalonians 2.
5 For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed— God is witness. 6 Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ. 7But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. 8So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.
Gentleness and Love, that is what hollers out to me from this passage.

These men did not come with flattery or pretext for greed or glory from man.
They came, like a momma comes to her baby, gently wanting to care for these people. They wanted so much to share God with these people that they shared their own selves as well. The Thessalonican people became most dear to them.

That paints such a picture in my head now that I'm a momma. Because I know how I was with my boyo Justin when he was just a wee lad (well....except when he BIT ME!) That gentleness and care that just seeped out of me toward that wee lad even when I was ever so tired and so forth. I just loved and cared for that wee boyo the best I could.

I remember those feelings, and that's what arises within me when I read how much these men cared for the Thessalonican people. They loved them. They sacrificed themselves for these people. And they came because it was, as we learned yesterday, a way to please God.

Funny how pleasing God can bring out the love in a person. :)

What other reasons could they had for coming?
1. greed....to build up their financial profile
2. flattery.... to be built up with praise
3. Glory seeking .... to make themselves look good

But these reasons are not why they came. They didn't need these things.
All they needed was to be approved of by God. (see Beckham)
All their needs were met in God already.
All they needed to do then was to focus on the Thessalonicans.

Oh my..... what a good reminder for me this day.
So often I want to make myself look good. I get something done and I say look... see what I did.
I aught not do that. I should just quietly go about fulfilling my master's duty and let the rest be. I should like I was with wee Justin....just quietly going about caring for him and that's it.

Good life lesson I think...

No comments: