Tuesday, October 23, 2007

This made me laugh!

This post, over here at Mohler's blog, made me laugh. And it's based on this article in the Wall Street Journal.

Women are different than men..... hmmm.... go figure! :)
Sorry, whenever people make discoveries like that it makes me laugh, it seems so ordinary to me.

We tend to think differently.
We tend to view things in a different light.
We tend to move, act and socialize differently.

Why is it a surprise that even when we do similar moves that they might not mean the same thing? Why do things like these have to be taught? Don't people grow up knowing some of these basics?

Don't be frustrated if female clients reevaluate or modify their initial requests; because they discover as they shop, women may be very receptive to suggestions about other services.

Women clients want to know and trust their consultants personally as well as professionally; sharing personal details can help build trust.

Women often prefer business lunches to dinners, because they tend to have more responsibilities at home. And they may be more receptive to evening social invitations if asked with sufficient time to make arrangements at home.

Body language differs by gender. Men tend to stare as they listen and nod to signify they understand. Women may nod when they don't yet understand to encourage the speaker to keep talking. And while consultants often seat themselves beside a male client as their "right hand man," women are more comfortable seated face to face.

I suppose if I stop and think about it, I grew up aware the men and women think differently, and do different things (I have three brothers). I have to admit, I didn't always stop and think about it. One of the things I have learned to do in my relationship with Jim is to ask him WHY.

Why did you do that? What's your reasoning for the decision? Do you know that when you talk in that tone I think ...he's mad at me, even though logically I know that you're not mad, you're just doing your It's Monday and I'm tired thing?! Makes us communicate more, and I suppose that's not a bad thing! :)

This gets me away from from assuming a reason. Why I started asking him why (even thought it sometimes drives him nuts) I was surprised at his reasoning sometimes. He had reasons that didn't even occur to me, and sometimes were even for the benefit of me or our family. Made me stop and reconsider where I was coming from a time or two.

Anyways, all I want to say is it shouldn't surprise us to learn that men and women are different. After all, God designed us that way. (see Genesis 1-3).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good insight - it's all pretty basic, isn't it?!

Thanks for visiting me and for the tip on Freecycle!