Saturday, April 07, 2007

Self-control

This week in Coffeebreak we discussed self-control and how it is one of the fruits of the Spirit. We learned that true self-control begins with understanding that we really need Spirit-control (as in the Holy Spirit) and the willingness to learn/heed/obey his prompting.

Still having that in mind, when I read this passage from I Thessalonians 4, it caught my eye.
1Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to live and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. 3For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, 5not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. 7For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
The Holy Spirit was given to us as a counselor, teacher, guide. He guides our hearts to God, he helps us understand God's word, and prompts us to obey him (and helps us know when we are not obeying the things of God).

In this passage we learn more about what the will of God is for our lives.

That we abstain from sexual immorality. Or in other words... that we live our sexual lives in a pure manner, free from immorality.

That we learn to control our bodies. And we do so in holiness and honour. Not being people given over to the passions of our flesh, but striving for holiness and honour in all ways.

Those of us who know God, need to know God with all of ourselves. Not just with our spirits, but also with our bodies and the things that we do.

God calls us to holiness.

So what does that mean for me?
1. Just because I'm tired doesn't give me a reason to snap at others.
2. Just because I want it, doesn't mean I have to buy that chocolate bar. :)
3. Just because I know my hubbie likes it, doesn't mean I have to get him a Coffeecrisp or bring snack crackers into the house, it doesn't help him to honour his body either!

I am learning more and more that self-control really does start with a different mind set.
1. How does "this" (whatever this is for me or you) fit in with living a holy and honourable life before God?
2. How can I help others in my life live holy and honourable lives with all that they are? Do the things that I do contribute to their not really heeding the Spirit at work within them?

Hmm.....things to ponder.

1 comment:

jen said...

There you go... making me think again.

I was thinking that a very good reason for this is so they will see that we are different. Too many in 'the church' want to be just like the world in order to win it. That never works. They'll be drawn by lives lived for Him.