Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ecclesiastes

I did an intensive self-study on this book of Solomom's before. I found it an interesting book to read but rather depressing. All that man does is folly. All that people should remember is God matters. But... all we do is folly and doesn't really matter in the long run.

When I reading in Ecclesiastes 5 this morning I read these verses.
1Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they are doing evil. 2Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few.
and these ones
9Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil--this is the gift of God. 20For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.
This Chapter begins with an admonition that we remember that it is God that we draw near to. Therefore we must be careful what we promise. We must be careful what we do. That we must listen way more than we talk. After all GOD is in heaven, WE are on earth. We need to be respectful of that.

And then it closes with showing the results of God in the lives of his people. We have so much joy in him, that we can scarce remember our time on earth.

Reading this reminds of me of how I've gone through some tough times in my life, and often when I think back, what I remember most is how God took care of me through them. Knowing, feeling and seeing God's love tends to override the rest, and colours it a whole lot better.

Isn't it neat?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Annette.

How did you know I needed it?

Annette said...

You are most welcome Kim, I am finding this four passages at a time study through the bible rather interesting. God gives me stuff most every day...makes me think and learn on him all the more.

This morning I went to hear a woman give her testimony. Woven throughout her story was how God was healing her, drawing her, teaching her throughout all the dark times and thoughts that she was going through. Made my reading through Ecclesiastes all the more real to me. :)

Neat how God does that.