Friday, January 13, 2012

Windows of Wisdom - Proverbs 3:1-6


Today's Scripture Proverbs 3:1-6

1My child, remember

my teachings and instructions

and obey them completely.

2They will help you live

a long and prosperous life.

3Let love and loyalty

always show like a necklace,

and write them in your mind.

4God and people will like you

and consider you a success.

5With all your heart

you must trust the LORD

and not your own judgment.

6Always let him lead you,

and he will clear the road

for you to follow.

When I read this verse: "Let love and loyalty always show like a necklace, and write them in your mind". I smiled. I don't know why, but it just painted a picture in my head of goodness.

Jesus died for me.
He did this out of obedience to his father who is God above. God LOVED me that he sent his son to do this for me. To bring me back to him while I was still a sinner...he did this even before I was born because he knew how much I would need him. That shows the most love and loyalty I've ever known. So for me to return that... by showing love and loyalty to others is not such a hard thing to ask is it?

Particularly if I do what the rest of these verses ask me to do.
  • I must remember the things God teaches me
  • I am to obey the teaching and instruction
  • I am to know that these teachings and instructions help me to live my life
  • I should know that my life will be long and prosperous if I remember them
  • I am to write these instructions on my mind.... memorize bible verses perhaps?
  • With all my heart I have to trust God (the Lord)
  • I must trust God and not my own judgement
  • I must always let him lead me
  • If I do so, he will make the road before me clear so that I can follow him.

These things I need to do. Remember, obey, commit, and trust. This is what God asks of me. All he did was all the above for me when I didn't deserve any of it. Why should it be such a difficult thing for me to do in return? All it takes is a bit of time and commitment and a whole lot of remembered focus.

This I can do, it's ALL I can do in response.

What did Olford have to say?
Olford focuses on these verses
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
And makes these three main points
  • The decision to trust must be foremost in our lives - God asks for ALL our trust
  • The devotion to trust must be fostered in our lives - We must live the scriptures
  • The direction of trust must be followed in our lives - God will guide us.

No comments: