Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day by Day - James 4:13-17

Using as a base for devotions, Day by Day by Charles Swindoll.



In james 4:13-17 (CEB) we read
13 Pay attention, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such-and-such a town. We will stay there a year, buying and selling, and making a profit.” 14 You don’t really know about tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for only a short while before it vanishes. 15 Here’s what you ought to say: “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast and brag, and all such boasting is evil. 17 It is a sin when someone knows the right thing to do and doesn’t do it.

I normally read from the RSV or the ESV but I sometimes switch to the CEB - common English Bible. I find it helpful to read familiar words in a different way. Anyways, my thoughts on these verses?

my first thought is Oh! So when I say I am going to do something, if I say it without the caveat that I will do so if the Lord allows it, I am boasting? huh... never would have thought that.

God doesn't like us boasting.
God likes us to acknowledge that all that we have or are or do is all because of him.

Seems to me then that it is a good idea to remember that. To remember that my transitory life is all that God allows it to be. My goodness though.. it is so easy to forget that isn't it? So easy to make plans and forget that God is actively and intimately involved in our lives.

Kinda puts a different spin doesn't it.

For instance.. I didn't sleep particularly good last night. But God allowed that. Ergo...should I complain about it? Not really, since God knows ALL about my life. Everything. He always has my best interests at heart.

Even if I don't understand what is good about not having a lot of sleep, perhaps God is trying to tell me something about my life that I need to change and not sleeping well might just be the wake up call or perhaps the nudge I need to get myself going in a different direction?

Point to ponder eh?

Now.. what does Chuck have to say about this passage?

okay, I had to read over this devotional a few times to get what he was trying to say. He used a negative approach to make a positive suggestion and that always throws my brain for a loop. He basically suggested that we do five things which were (from a Christian perspective less than stellar)....and then asked...how much time are we wasting doing these types of things already? And after I let that sink in, it was like okay, good point. :)

No comments: