Monday, March 30, 2009

True Woman - Letting God shape your husband

Here's the email teaser sent to me:

Letting God Shape Your Husband

Don’t bother with today’s message if you have a perfect marriage. But if you need solid advice on honoring God through an imperfect marriage, dig in.*

  • The best marriage is nothing more than two sinners continually humbling themselves and knowing how to get to the cross to find the grace of God.
  • Your husband’s strengths and weaknesses are exactly what God knew you needed for you to become the woman God wanted you to be.
  • It's your job to love your husband; it's God’s job to change him.

Listen to or read more from “Letting God Shape Your Husband”

But if you need solid advice on honoring God through an imperfect marriage, dig in.*

  • The best marriage is nothing more than two sinners continually humbling themselves and knowing how to get to the cross to find the grace of God.
  • Your husband’s strengths and weaknesses are exactly what God knew you needed for you to become the woman God wanted you to be.
  • It's your job to love your husband; it's God’s job to change him.

Listen to or read more from “Letting God Shape Your Husband”

I have to admit: I read this line "Don’t bother with today’s message if you have a perfect marriage" and I inwardly snorted. :) Perfect marriage? Who has a perfect marriage? I do think that people have marriages that are right for them, sometimes they have to work at them, but even those marriages that are "right" for those people, need work. Marriage is indeed a close relationship between two imperfect people. Not an easy thing, but overall...a good thing. :)

From Titus 2:1-5 we read:
1But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
In marriage, we have to learn what it really means to love our husbands. And guaranteed, it's not always so easy. But I've learned that in learning to love my hubby, I understand more of what God wants of me. To be a giving, less me-centred person who does try to see the bigger picture and not just what pleases ME. Pleasing myself less I think makes God happier. :) (Somehow I think I said that wrong).

But in marriage you do learn that it's not all about me. It's about more than me. This is an important thing for everyone to learn. Marriage isn't all about him either (from his perspective). It's too people learning to love each other through the grace of God.

I liked this line:
Remember that your husband’s strengths and weaknesses are exactly what God knew you needed for you to become the woman God wanted you to be. That’s true vice versa as well. Your strengths and weaknesses are what God knew your husband needed for him to become the man he needs to be.
It's all a growing process. Of learning to be more than ourselves, of seeing God more through how he works in us and each other. Of .....oh...marriage is hard work but it is worth it. :)

God knew what I needed when he had me meet my hubby. :) He's changed me, he's made me more than I was before, and he's brought me closer to himself.

Allow your marriage to do the same for you.
See your hubby for who he is, a sinner under the grace of God. JUST LIKE YOU.

Be a help-meet for him on his journey. Let him be yours as well.

No comments: