Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Woes of Having an Older Dog


Riley and Sassy (our dogs) went camping with us this past week.

Our camping neighbours LOVED our dogs.  See...our dogs... they don't bark when we camp.  They are very quiet, well-behaved dogs.   Sassy also LOVES people and is a total wiggle butt and people seem to really like that.  :)   They even seem to like that Riley is a big stand-offish until he gets to know you.   They aren't aggressive with passing dogs and they just lay out quietly watching the world.   Sassy impresses people with her frisbee and ball catching skills and.... she even did some freestyle moves for our dog-loving neighbours.

Sassy (who is our barker at home) only barked one time and that is because she was eating her supper and a neighbour (Lee) tried to visit with her.  It was more of a "hi, I'm friendly bark, but I'm eating so leave me alone."     What can I say...she was REALLY hungry (that's what comes from not eating most of her supper the night before).

Anyways, Riley spent the last couple of nights we were camping OUT of the trailer.   Why?  Because he got the runs and didn't know it.   He was still lying in it when I when I asked my hubbie to put that dog out!   ICK!!!!   We were up at 5 a.m. cleaning up the trailer and TRYING to do it quietly AND then our boy woke up and well....what can I say...it was just a mess.    We did succeed though in keeping quiet.  None of our neighbours got upset with us, or even seemed to wake up through the whole mess.

It was kinda funny later on.  Riley was just a stinky mess, it had rained the night before, and I wanted him cleaner.   Riley is normally a dog who will splash through puddles and wade around.  NOT this morning!   Oh no!  When we want him too he won't!    Silly dog.     So here I am, the big meanie that I am, I make him SIT in a puddle and I swish him around in it.   Got most of the poop off, he's complaining to beat the band (whine, whine, whine).  You would have thought I was killing him!    I let him up.  I note that he's still a bit poopy so the next big puddle I have the audacity to do it again!   (repeat performance on Riley's part)

You have to understand something here.   When Riley is displeased by something...the whole world knows the life is not good.  Must be the combination husky-shepherd ...husky's are talkers and Riley talks.  Shepherds are facially expressive and Riley can pull this "Ah, life is not good look".   It was funny. BUT he was cleaner!  Not as smelly!  YEAH!!!!   yes, I know...I'm a big old meanie for washing him in a puddle....TWICE!!!

But on a sadder note, Riley has been doing this pooping thing without knowing it, much more frequently lately. I am getting tired of the cleanup - happening way to frequently lately.    And there are days when he looks like SUCH an old dog.      I don't like those days when he's looking so old and so sad.  Makes me worried for him.   And the days that he just seems to get tired going for a short walk ...   He's getting old...

I called our vet the other day to see how much it would cost to put him to sleep.  Not as bad as we thought...$35 - We'd have to bury him though.   Jim says, the backyard, a big hole and a nice marker.   It will be hard to let him go....but we're starting to think that in October (when the weather starts to turn too cold to let him out all day and early in the morning) that we'll have to say good-bye to this good old dog.

Oh...I was going to add...the last night we were camping two little coons came by our campsite.  We had supper garbage bags hanging out and they were curious.   I woke up to the "grr" noise that coons make.  They had noticed Riley out in the x-pen and where making "we're not scared of you" noises and "see how big we are" noises as they are flattening themselves to the ground.   Riley's response seemed so classic "What? I'm here you're there.  I"m not doing anything.   What?  I don't get why you're making such strange noises...."   Stupid baby coons!   :)  Made me laugh (quietly mind you so I wouldn't wake up the boy)

1 comment:

Camy Tang said...

Hi Annette,
Congrats! You won my blog book giveaway for TANGLED MEMORIES by Marta Perry! Please e-mail me via my Blogger profile with your mailing address so I can send this out to you.

And feel free to continue to enter my blog book giveaways!

Thanks,
Camy