Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Psalm 141

Today's reading was from Psalm 139-141 and John 17.

This caught my attention this morning. From Psalm 141

1O LORD, I call upon you; hasten to me!
Give ear to my voice when I call to you!
2Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

3Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
keep watch over the door of my lips!
4Do not let my heart incline to any evil,
to busy myself with wicked deeds
in company with men who work iniquity,
and let me not eat of their delicacies!


I talk with LOTS of people about spiritual matters and one thing that constantly crops up is those 'besetting sins'. You know, the one (or two) sins that you have that you constantly (or so it seems) you have to battle. For some people it's worry, others how they talk, others its things of the mind or ________. You fill in the blank..you know what you struggle with.

I keep telling people that even if you have to do it one million times a day, or fifty times a second (or so it seems), just keep turning it over to God. Just say "God, this _________ is here again, I'm sorry, help me not to do it again."

I was thinking about that this morning....if only because my own besetting sin was being an irritation this morning, and how I was talking with a friend last week who said she's about ready to just give up on God because it just ain't working. And that bothers me. So here I am reading from David's Psalms and he says "I will call upon you". "Give ear to me when I call upon you."

I did challenge my friend as to whether God helped her or not, and she did admit that he did. AND that things were better than they were...but she wants it gone. I don't get it. You see something getting better and you want to give up because it's not going as quickly as you would like?

Over and over in the Psalms we see David calling out to God for help. David didn't give up. He made dreadful mistakes and sins against the Lord God, but he didn't give up. He knew where his help came from.

And I know it too...my help comes from the Lord.
I must indeeds call upon him all the time for help.
He alone can make things right.

I don't know. I want to say more, but my heart and head are too full right now.

Just don't give up. You need to call upon the Lord. He will hasten to our aid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a really good comment earlier, but blogger was having problems with comments and told me to try later. Now it is later. It is working, but I don't remember what I wanted to say :)

Annette said...

well gee....that's awfully helpful. :) thanks anyways... :)