Saturday, February 11, 2006

Never realized before

So, I"ve been learning to read the bible every day on my computer. Makes it easy to have things sent to me, but I still find it a bit odd to read on the computer. I have to talk a lot with God for his word to impact me when I read it this way. I'm getting better at it with his help. I have passages sent to my from http://bibleplan.org

ANyways, I was reading from Genesis 12 this morning.
"37And the people of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children. 38A mixed multitude also went up with them, and very much livestock, both flocks and herds. 39And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough that they had brought out of Egypt, for it was not leavened, because they were thrust out of Egypt and could not wait, nor had they prepared any provisions for themselves."

And this verse caught my eye: 38A mixed multitude also went up with them, and very much livestock, both flocks and herds.

This caught my eye because I've never really seen before that God had this bigger picture in mind. I've always thought that after the plagues were over the Egyptians hated the Israelites so much that they shoved them off and that just the Israelites were redeemed from slavery. But then I read this verse and I see these Egyptians travelling with them. And when I read later in Chapter 13 that all who travelled with them had to redeem the firstborn, whether man or beast. See here what they needed to do:

11"When the LORD brings you into the land of the Canaanites, as he swore to you and your fathers, and shall give it to you, 12you shall set apart to the LORD all that first opens the womb. All the firstborn of your animals that are males shall be the LORD's. 13Every firstborn of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb, or if you will not redeem it you shall break its neck. Every firstborn of man among your sons you shall redeem.

Anyways, it just makes me think of how God's plan is for the whole world. That yes, in the Old Testament he focused on his chosen people, but even then, those who were not his people who followed him, he still used and taught and accepted. It paved the way it seems to me, for his total inclusion in the New Testament.

I don't know, I'm probably not wording the thoughts in my brain very well, and may indeed end up reposting them when I'm feeling more alert. But I just thought this was cool. The Israelites are running from the Egyptians because they are an anthema to them because of all the plagues, and yet some Egyptians chose to travel with them. Chose to leave with the Israelites .. I'm not sure why, but the Israelites had stated all along that they were leaving so they could worship their God. Makes me wonder if some of the Egyptians had also learned to worship God.

Neat thought for me for the day anyway.

No comments: