Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Windows of Wisdom - Proverbs One


I will be varying which book I use for devotional times. Today it's this one by Stephen Olford, called Windows of Wisdom: Devotional Studies in Proverbs.

This devotional goes through the Proverbs. It goes through one proverb each day. This may prove to be longer than I want to do, but there generally is value in looking at things as a cohesive unit as well. So I may look at entire proverb one day and then break it down the next time I look at it. My devotional time... my decisions right? :)

Anyways, using the ESV translation today from Bible Gateway, here is Proverbs One. It's a rather long passage, so I'll only put into my blog the verses that jump out at me. I don't know about you, but I tend not to read blogs that appear too long. :) And the link to Proverbs One so it can be read in it's entirety is right here. :)

1 The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:

2 To know wisdom and instruction,
to understand words of insight,
3 to receive instruction in wise dealing,
in righteousness, justice, and equity;
4 to give prudence to the simple,
knowledge and discretion to the youth—
5 Let the wise hear and increase in learning,
and the one who understands obtain guidance,
6 to understand a proverb and a saying,
the words of the wise and their riddles.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.

8 Hear, my son, your father's instruction,

and forsake not your mother's teaching,
9 for they are a graceful garland for your head
and pendants for your neck.

20 Wisdom cries aloud in the street,
in the markets she raises her voice;
21 at the head of the noisy streets she cries out;
at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
22 “How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple?
How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing
and fools hate knowledge?
23 If you turn at my reproof,
behold, I will pour out my spirit to you;
I will make my words known to you.

This passage calls us to want to be wise...and true wisdom comes from God. It warns us what will happen if we ignore the call to wisdom. I am hopeful that by choosing to homeschool our lad that we will help him choose the path of wisdom, to follow that call God has on his life. I am hopeful that over the course of this year that I will seek wisdom more often. Being wise... hmm... now that is a goal to seek after is it not? :)

What does Olford have to say?
he points to verse 7: 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

what does the fear of the Lord mean? It means that you are aware of how wrong you have been. That you see how holy God is. It's not a "I'm running all afeered, scared type of thing" It's a "wow God, you are so good and I'm so not there". This fear is a GOOD thing. It brings a person to a place where they can begin to learn and grow and change and become more than what they merely are.

But there are those who don't want learn and grow and change. Who merely want to be what they are. These folks the bible calls foolish. And it is indeed foolish to not want to look beyond yourself. To not see there is something more infinite out there.

The author calls us to face this fact....do you want to be wise OR... do you want to be a fool?

I'll choose the path of wisdom....won't you join me?

No comments: