Friday, March 27, 2009

True Woman - Make your Husband a Priority

The teaser in the email sent to me:

Make Your Husband a Priority

It’s a challenge to keep up with all the needs in a busy household. As you’re deciding what to tackle, who becomes a higher priority—your kids, or your husband? The Bible speaks to that question.*

* I wish young women knew how to reverence and adore their husbands, to protect their reputations, and to affirm them in public. Men blossom when you do that.
* If you are a married woman, loving your husband is the number-one way that you demonstrate your commitment to sound doctrine.
* Loving your husband means enjoying him. It means being his friend, taking pleasure in him

Listen to or read more from “Make Your Husband a Priority”
From Titus 2:1-5 we read:
1But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
Oh...for those who don't know. I use biblegateway for my on-line scripture.

here's more from what Nancy had to say that I thought worth repeating:
The first thing that older women are to teach younger women, according to this passage, is to love their husbands. If you are a married woman, this is the number-one way that you demonstrate your commitment to sound doctrine. You can’t say you have sound doctrine if you despise or disregard your husband. Loving your husband flows out of the gospel, and this kind of love also flows out of a promise, a vow, a covenant.
Remember back to that day when you stood with your husband at an altar, and you made some vows before God? What did you say? Maybe it was something like this:
I take you to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish from this day forward until death do us part.
Remember saying something like that? Those weren’t just words. This was a covenant. This was a vow. This was a promise.
I know in my own life, learning how to love my hubby has been one of the hardest jobs I've had to take on in marriage. Sounds funny eh? I loved this man enough to change my whole life to marry him....and yet I've had to work at just loving him...idiosyncrasies and all. To respect him when I want my own way. To figure out how to meld how I do things with how he does things. To show him how what he thinks about things is important too. NOT an easy task at times.

So having solid Christian women that I respect demonstrate what it means to just love your hubby is important to me. :)

I have to admit...when I read this from Nancy's piece:
By the way, when we say she’s fond of her husband, this suggests that it’s an exclusive kind of love. By implication, she is not fond of other men in the same way that she is of her husband. Your husband is to be the object of your affection in a way that is distinct and exclusive and different from the way that you are fond of any other man. This kind of love means more than just fulfilling your duties toward your husband. It means enjoying him. It means being his friend, taking pleasure in him.
My very first thought was well DUH! But then I have to realize that in today's society the specialness of one's mate is sometimes lost. Going for a nice long walk with my hubby is different than going for a walk with a good friend, it's somehow better. :) And I love our Pinery excursions with the three of us. It's just "gezellic" (for you dutch people out there...feel free to correct my spelling). :) just nice is a good way.

But women.....learn how to love your hubbies, figure out how to make them more important than the other stuff in your life. God wants you to do this....so shouldn't that make us all the more want to? God, your hubby, your children, your extended family, and the rest of the world. that's the order of things. Get it straight, know it's hard work at times, but do it none the less. AND model it well so others see it as well. Talk about it with younger struggling women.

Just go out and love your hubby!

No comments: