Thursday, July 06, 2006

Silly Dogs

I have for the most part decided that we have two very silly dogs that share this household.

Two dogs: Riley older husky-shepherd cross male. Sassy younger complete mix.

We've in the past couple of months switched them to a raw food diet (actually known as a B.A.R.F. diet) that stands for biologically appropriate raw food diet. To learn more go here.

They get fed outside because, well, raw food is a tad bit messier than kibble.

We've seen good changes in them, and can do it for about the same cost as mid-range kibble.

Anyways, why are they silly?

1. We tie them up when feeding because Riley is a thief. No other polite way to say it...he is an unrepentant thief.

2. So here is Riley, he is NOT done his own food. He is stretching out as far as he can on his lead-out with his nose in the air sniffing. And then he starts his infamous woofing. I want off! I want off! he woofs! I kept telling him to be quiet.

3. I go out to see what is taking Sassy so long to eat her food. What do I find? She's guarding her food against flies! Silly dog! Just eat! I told her to go ahead, eat! Even scared the flies away. She ate! ARGH!!!!

Silly dogs!!! Both of them!!!!

Neither completely finished their meal. That's not unusual for Sassy, and a good sign with Riley. I"m testing just how much he eats, and will give him filler (rice) to help him feel full so he won't woof and beg to be let off so he can steal from Sassy. (not that it worked tonight...perhaps I'm deluded in thinking I can change him....) Tonight I gave him just a tad bit too much filler. Sassy tends to eat her quota one day, and then the next day, she leaves some behind. She's a bit harder to figure on this new diet.

I used to keep the leftovers for the next day, but have stopped doing that. I either flush the leftovers OR if it's pieces of chicken, I dump it out in the compost for the neighbourhood stray cats (at least that's my assumption as it's always gone the next morning!). Besides, whatever is eating it, the scent gets Sass all excited the following morning! Good to have a rush isn't it? (grin)

1 comment:

Kim from Hiraeth said...

As an owner of two very silly dogs, I really enjoyed this post!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, Annette.

I've considered BARF for my old girl, Evie, because she has a lot of allergies, but I am pleased with her progress on her current food. It seems, though, that she'll do well on something for a while and then develop an allergy over time, so it may be that we are moving inexorably to the BARF diet with her.