Tuesday, May 15, 2012

day by day - James 1: 2-4

As a basis for study, using Day by Day with Charles Swindoll.



James 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
Have you ever had passages misused or stuck in your face when going through a hard time?  I have.  This has been one used.  But you should be happy that you are going through this.  Means that God thinks you can handle it, and .....

Makes me want to say ARGH!  :)  

But when you stop and think about it for a while...trials are a help to us, even if at times they seem more like a hindrance.

For instance: I never put much effort into understanding people who deal with migraines...until I suffered one, and now all I do is feel empathy for those who have to live with a head that is filled with that much discomfort regularly.   It's like OUCH.   They are worse than regular headaches.      So that suffering brought about understanding, and that understanding brings about the knowledge that this too at some point shall end.   Knowing there is an end in sight means that someone can bear up under it.

And ultimately in life, there is an end to everything.

If you are a believer in God the end is glory in heaven with God himself.   Ah.. sometimes that thought makes me smile.

If you are not a believer, that end is simple... death and torment with Satan.  Not an end I would wish for anyone.

One of the sadness things I've ever read was a comment from an atheist.   Someone in her family died and so she wrote words to the effect: "we don't believe in God so there is no hope for the future.   Just dead."    All I could think was .. how sad is that.  To not have any hope?   It's like live life, die. the end.   What's the point of that?   I want to know there is something more, and I know there is something more and that gives me a reason to strive to be something more.  I really really want to LIVE.. not just exist like atheists do.. but I really want to live.

Don't you?   Won't you join me in really living?
In knowing that there is something more that is beyond us.  
That the one who created us is calling us to something bigger?   And it starts with just knowing that he is real and then seeking after him.
Have hope.
Know that what you go through in life is preparing you for something more.
You will lack nothing in Glory with God. 

No comments: