Thursday, July 02, 2009

Christ's Sacrifice, once for all

The heading in today's section in Hebrews 10 is "Christ's sacrifice, once for all"
1For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. 2Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? 3But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,

"Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
but a body have you prepared for me;
6in burnt offerings and sin offerings
you have taken no pleasure.
7Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.'"

8When he said above, "You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings" (these are offered according to the law), 9then he added, "Behold, I have come to do your will." He does away with the first in order to establish the second. 10And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

15And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,
16 "This is the covenant that I will make with them
after those days, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws on their hearts,
and write them on their minds,"

17then he adds,

"I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more."

18Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.

I'm not going to promise that I"ll get through all 18 verses, but thought I'd post the whole section anyways. :)

If you remember....when I studied in chapter nine I was hit by how complete Christ's death was. He died, he rose from the dead. He doesn't ever have to do that again. Think about the finality of that. Such a complete sacrifice, that did such a complete work. Forgiving/redeeming every aspect of my life when I am repentant of my sin. And not just me...everyone! And I want my boy to know this joy as well.

Today that theme continues.

The Law was not complete. Sacrifices had to made on a continual basis, at least once a year. The blood of animals can't actually take away sin. The only way to take away sin is Christ and his sacrifice for us. Only through Christ might we (might I) be sanctified. There is no other way for any of us.

God asked him to do, he obeyed AND the Holy Spirit bears witness as well. God, the three in one, makes this so.

One action, that then covers all of mine. Still just amazes me at times..... doesn't it you?

No comments: