Friday, August 18, 2006

I Corinthians 11

I don't know about you, but when I read passages like this I'm not sure what to do with them.

2Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as if her head were shaven. 6For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. 8For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God. 13Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.


I understand the headship principle. Men were made first (Adam) and then women were made (Eve). Eve was made because
But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.(genesis 2:20c-22)


What I wonder about it the whole....head covering showing you are under another's authority thing. Several of the commentaries I looked at, mentioned how this was a cultural thing. It was a thing done in eastern countries.

And maybe so... BUT is that the only answer? It was a thing done back then but isn't now because our culture is different OR is there a spiritual thing here that is being missed?

How do I as a Christian woman show that my hubbie is my authority. It's a biblical position that he is in. How do I show it?

How do I show that I am the "glory of my husband" as he is the "glory of God"?

I hate hats...don't ask me to wear one. So that ain't happening. I'd be just fine shaving my head... BUT... my hubbie wouldn't be so that's out. So what do I do with passages like this?

and then Paul throws this into the mix "Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God."

We know from other scripture that God doesn't look for man-made differences in us. There is no slave or free, no greek or jew, and so forth. And we know that God creates all things. Everything is inter-connected... so no one can flaunt or be prideful about who they think they are. But that doesn't change the general principle here does it? That God made man, and then he made woman to be a help meet for that man. Men are to be heads of the household, they are examples of how God shows his love to the church, and women are examples to show how the church is to respond to God.

So should I show that I heed the authority of my husband?

No comments: