Thursday, November 19, 2009

By Faith - they died knowing

13These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
This is the next section in Hebrews 11.

Abraham, Sarah, Enoch, Abel, Noah. These folks died knowing they were strangers and exiles on earth. They died knowing there was something more out there. They knew that God would keep his promises to them. They knew that God had better.

I do find this line interesting as I've just never thought about God being ashamed before. "therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God."

Makes me wonder if I shame God at all?
I know as these folks did that God has something more for me.
I don't know if I shame him at times. Probably do when I flagrantly disobey him. I never quite seen it as shame-inducing though. Just as something I need to repent of and work at not doing again. So it adds a new layer to my obedience to God. How do I act in ways that won't cause him to be ashamed of me.

No comments: