Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Starting Jeremiah

So today I started reading from Jeremiah. I am sort of tempted to take my time with this book, but since I'm following a reading plan, and time is often short, I will probably just buzz through it in bits and pieces.

Anyways, Jeremiah is a book that focuses on the prophet Jeremiah.

One line that immediately caught my attention was verse 4 and 5
4Now the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
5"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations."


Can you imagine it? Do you see it in your own life? That God knew you before you were born? Before you were even formed in your momma's womb..God KNEW you?

I have to admit that I find that hard to comprehend. How can you know someone before they even exist physically? But this is one of those spots where God is God and not a man. :) But before Jeremiah even existed God had a plan for his life. He had appointed Jeremiah to be a prophet to the nations. Jeremiah had a job even before he was old enough to really think about it. It was a job specifically for God.

Did you know that God has a plan specifically for you as well? It was like how I read last night... Habakkuk wondering if God was ever going to get around to answering his call, and God's response is..well I am doing something I"m raising up these nasty Chaldeans to punish those evil-doers. So that leads me to think that God has a plan for everyone...doesn't matter if we are believers or not...he still is in control of our lives. He still has a plan for us.

So where are you in it? Are you like Jeremiah.... But God... "Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth." (v.6) And God's response to him is ... don't use that as an excuse. You will go where I send you, and speak what I have you speak, "for I am with you to deliver you". (v.8)

Do you offer excuses? If you do, you aren't the only one. Moses did too (see Exodus for that). God still used him. He met Moses objections.

Jeremiah was but a youth...and he didn't think he was up to the job. But God said "do not be afraid for I am with you to deliver you."
Moses was sent to talk to man who he knew wouldn't listen to him.
Jeremiah was sent to talk to people who had turned away from God. They didn't want to listen to him either. He will be prophet to a people who will be in a warzone. Life will not be easy for him.

So as you see, just because God has a plan for our lives, doesn't mean our lives will be easy or that our excuses aren't real...but...it still comes down to "do not be afraid for I am with you to deliver you.".

Follow God's plan for your life. He will always be there with us if we keep following him.

No comments: