Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Putting scripture together

One of the things that I am learning that I am not so good at is putting scripture together in a way that is good and right. I tend to take a passage and just think of it all on its own. I don't tend to go...okay this verse/section means thus and such, but if I add this verse/scripture then thus and such ALSO means this. I am ALWAYS amazed at people who can put scripture together so that meanings are broaden WITHOUT changing the meaning and contexts of the scriptures being put together.

Sometimes I wonder how they can do it, and seemingly so easily. I am hoping as I continue to mature in my faith that I will be better enabled to do this, because right now I feel rather hopeless at it for the most part. :)

But I was reading today in Hosea and in Romans and some verses from each kinda jumped out at me. And hopefully I'll use them contextually well together. :)

Hosea 14:9 says:
9Whoever is wise, let him understand these things;
whoever is discerning, let him know them;
for the ways of the LORD are right,
and the upright walk in them,
but transgressors stumble in them.
and Romans 16:17-19 says:
17I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. 18For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive. 19For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil.
Paul in Romans has just gone through a list of various greetings to people. He wants to leave one final admonishment to the people he is writing. He wants them to be careful, to be aware that not everyone is out for the good of others. That they need to wise in what is good, and innocent of evil. He has spent the entire book of Romans teaching them what Christ and Christianity is all about.

And then I read in Hosea that the wise understand the things of God. They who are upright and good really to walk in the ways of the Lord.

The only way we can walk in the ways of the Lord is if we are discerning and wise in reading, knowing and doing the Word of God. And it's even written down for us which makes it so much easier for us to dig into it, read it, pray for the Holy Spirit to help us understand it, and then to actually go out and live it. Those who do that are wise and discerning and good! They become people who are innocent of evil.

Rather neat isn't it? :)

No comments: