Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I like this I think


YouTube - New St. Andrews College/Logos School

I"ve been looking at different methods of homeschooling for the past bit.

I've seen this Triverium method before, and I like the concept behind it. I like that it makes sense to me. Each stage of learning builds on the one before it. I like the fact that the emphasis is on teaching people to think, not to know, but to think. I want Justin to know clearly how to think things through. To be able to reason from one point to another.

My hesitation is....
1. could I teach a language that I have no earthly clue about?
2. would I feel bound into something with no way of teaching around it?
3. how much does it cost?

Some of what I have looked it seems a bit cost prohibitive to me, but then again, I'm not entirely sure how cost prohibitive other methods might be.

Part of me likes the idea of building my own system of teaching. But I wonder if that would achieve the ends that I want to see.
What do I want for Justin at the end of homeschooing?
1. Confidence in his abilities to learn anything he wants to - being a thinking, logical person who knows how to ask the questions to get to where he wants to go.
2. Plain ability in math, english, science etc. That he knows the basics, and if he has the inclination or desire or ability that he can pursue further studies in the field of his choice.
3. To grow into a person of character, who knows who God is and that God is indeed God and worthy to be praised in all that he (Justin) does.

There are other things that tie into all of this, but this is, in a nutshell what I want the most for my boyo in his learning processes. I just need to figure out the best method for us as a family to achieve those ends.

Have any of you come up with a homeschooling plan that works for you? and how did you come to that decision?

3 comments:

Lyn Lomasi said...

I don't have a "method". I design the curriculum myself around state standards for each grade level, child's own abilities (sometimes they may be ahead or behind in a certain area, my expectations, and fun levels. For each subject, I make a plan of what we'd like to accomplish. Then, I split it all into sections. For each section, I gather resources for lessons, games, hands-on activities, and field trips about 2 weeks to a month in advance. This is how I do it for each subject. I make sure all the lessons are fun as well as enriching. You may find these links helpful:
Choosing Curriculums
Planning Your Homeschool Schedule

Annette said...

Thanks, your site is very helpful. I'm still trying to figure how to do it all. My best guess at this moment is that I will do a bit of a combination...some planned by others curriculum, and some planned by me. I'll have to work it out. Fortunately Justin is only 1 year old so I've a bit of time to do some planning yet. :)

Lyn Lomasi said...

LOL. Yes, you have tons of time to get it right. Hey, it's never too early to start.