Monday, April 02, 2012

Windows of Wisdom - Proverbs 7:1-5

Proverbs 7:1-5 says: (TNIV)
  1 My son, keep my words
   and store up my commands within you.
2 Keep my commands and you will live;
   guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
3 Bind them on your fingers;
   write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
   and to insight, “You are my relative.”
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
   from the wayward woman with her seductive words.

Do you ever think about these words "store up my commands within you".     What that means?

How other translations put it

ESV: My son, keep my words     and treasure up my commandments with you;
Amplified:  MY SON, keep my words; lay up within you my commandments [for use when needed] and treasure them.
CEV:  My son, pay close attention   and don't forget   what I tell you to do. 
ERV:  1 My son, remember my words. Don’t forget what I have told you.
KJV:  1My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee
MSG:  Dear friend, do what I tell you; treasure my careful instructions.
NASB:  1 My son, keep my words And treasure my commandments within you.

Keep, pay close attention, do what you are told, remember, lay up, treasure, don't forget

These words are used in conjunction with what God tells us to do.
We need to consider them as importantly as treasure we could find anywhere.

I NEED To consider them as important as my house, my family, my critters, my time alone... I need to treasure God's words into my very own heart and life.

IF I do so...then I will be more readily kept from sin.  I will live as the apple of God's eye.

IMAGINE THAT.   Just take a moment to imagine living in such a way that you know you are the apple of God's eye.   That's what happens when we take God's word and treat it like it's the apple of OUR eye.   Of my eye.  God's word is THAT important.

God's word keeps my path straight.
God's word keeps my ideals where they need to be.
God's word will help me be the kind of mom I really want to be.
God's word will help me be the wife I really want to be.

What do you suppose God's word would help you be?

What does Olford have to say about this text?
"Obedience is love's active response to all the will of God - with joyful anticipation."
- The demands of obedience
    We need to receive God's words and we need to reflect upon them which leads us to relating God's word to our lives.
- the delights of obedience
      We will have vitality and longevity in life if we hold to God's word.
- the dynamics of obedience
   The saying to wisdom you are my sister and to understanding that you are my kin.   I honestly don't get where he was going with that... in calling wisdom your sister is calling for encouragement and understanding as a relative means you are accepting discipline.     I don't get it.   Perhaps others might.     To me these words show the importance of wisdom and understanding.  Just as I hold my family close to me in my heart, so I should hold wisdom and understanding close to my heart.

No comments: