Saturday, January 22, 2011

Esau's family and Psalm 22

I'm following This plan takes you through the bible in two years. Todays' reading is: Gn 36.1-37.1 Ps 22

Gn 36.1-37.1
Genealogies.... this one of Esau. Esau was Jacob's (Israel's) brother. His family became the Edomites. I don't know if all the sons and daughters are listed, my guess is the "important" ones are. Esau moved to Seir because
He went into a land away from his brother Jacob. 7 For their possessions were too great for them to dwell together. The land of their sojournings could not support them because of their livestock. 8So Esau settled in the hill country of Seir. ( Esau is Edom.)
Ps 22
I read this Psalm and I think to myself...this should be the attitude of a person suffering from depression or who is just going through a difficult time. David was ICK, down the the depths of nothingness...and yet he realized even in the midst of his despair that

3Yet you are holy,
enthroned on the praises of Israel.
4In you our fathers trusted;
they trusted, and you delivered them.
5To you they cried and were rescued;
in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

6But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by mankind and despised by the people.
7All who see me mock me;
they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;
8 "He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him;
let him rescue him, for he delights in him!"

9Yet you are he who took me from the womb;
you made me trust you at my mother’s breasts.
10On you was I cast from my birth,
and from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
11Be not far from me,
for trouble is near,
and there is none to help.
He knows who God is despite his very own and real frailty. And that is the attitude that will bring us up and out. Remembering who God is and that we can trust him to help us in our weakness, remembering that HE is our very own help in trouble...even if it is difficult.

No comments: