Friday, August 01, 2008

The end of Titus

Today we come to the last few words in Paul's letter to Titus.
When I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there. 13Do your best to speed Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way; see that they lack nothing. 14And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.

15All who are with me send greetings to you. Greet those who love us in the faith.

Grace be with you all.

Paul has done what he could to help Titus pastor the Cretan church. Now he comes to his closing greetings. He lets Titus know that he'll be wintering over in Nicopolis and that he plans to send Artemas or Tychicus to him. He would like Titus to come if he is able. He urges Titus to help Zenas and Apollos, to send them on their way quickly with all that they need.

He once again urges Titus to help the Cretans learn to devote themselves to good works. To not be unfruitful. To help those who need the help.

He greets everyone and then extends grace to them as well.

I have to admit, sometimes I really like the New Testament way of signing off on letters. To give final greetings at the end. It ends a letter with love expressed clearly to the recipient. But well-crafted letters do that now-a-days too! Just in a different format. I remember once when my brother Fred was in College that he sent home a letter written in NewT style and it just seemed funny at the time. :) Just a different way of writing and helping folks.

Let me do as Paul says....devote myself to good works.
With that said, I'll be off! :)

No comments: