Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Called to more

Last time that I was hear for my devotions I considered the opening words of Titus 2.
1But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 6Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. 9 Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, 10not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.
We saw how, for the Christian believer, there are certain expectations of us.

Yesterday was a crazy busy day. Our fridge had broken down which was just a total mess after coming home from camping. When we left our campsite it had poured buckets so the trailer needed a huge clean-up as well. I had a grumpy boy who had a LOT of fun camping, but was tired from the busyness of being away from home and so forth. It was feeling totally beyond me to handle. I had a time of it. I was feeling incredibly disappointed that the folks I called from church seemed to care less about it. All that combined just seemed to make it all a bit too much.

I called my mom for moral support and she said....Why don't I come down and give you a hand. I said sure...that would be good.

While waited for her to come Justin and I tackled the trailer. I got out sponges which made it fun for Justin. He even learned how to wring them out. :) He helped by sponging off all flat surfaces ...which occasionally included his mommy's back (accompanied by lots of laughter). I tossed everything out on the front lawn to get dry.

Jim had a golf benefit that he had to go to. Since it's been at least 15 years since he last golfed he came home with sore arms and feet from walking so much and swinging the clubs. In his words "if the aim of the game was to have the highest score...I won".

My mom was a huge help. She helped me get the kitchen in order in what it seemed like no time flat. She was a practical help and a practically minded teacher. She asked questions, got some answers, gave some advise about how to keep things in relative order a bit easier. Taught me a trick of cleaning out a really stinky refrigerator and just was a good moral support.

I'll admit I'm not the greatest housekeeper in the world, but I am getting better. And I like it when people take the time to say...you know what...if you do thus and such little trick...it will make it easier to just get it done and out of the way. Was it always easy listening to advise and sometimes feeling criticised? no...but that's not the point...the point is learning and growing and being able to say help all of this is bit beyond me, and then being able to accept that help.

This folks, is what Paul is talking about. How we live our lives as believers matters...we are to support each other, we are to teach each other, we are look beyond ourselves and our own needs (which are often selfish needs) and be there for each other.

We need to live in such a way that we don't shame our living God. Let us help each other, teach each other and build up the body of Christ in such a way that we are good examples of Christ One's. That is what Paul calls us to here. Can we live up to the challenge?

No comments: