Monday, May 19, 2008

Bogged down or Reliance?

I was reading these words of God this morning:
1You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, 2and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3 Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 5 An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. 7Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.
and I was struck by this verse:
No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.
I had to stop and consider that for a moment. Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get caught up in the here and now that one forgets what one is actually here for?

I am here, on this earth, to bring glory to God, to enjoy him for all of who he is, and to help others to see him as well. Basically means I'm here to live out my faith in a manner which pleases God.

BUT...I get caught up in ....reading this or that book . or scrapbooking this or that event/life etc, or just doing my grocery shopping. I forget so often my MAIN point of living...to live out my faith in a way which brings glory to God. And then when I realize this I think to myself...ACH!!!! Woman Think about what you are doing!!!!!!

And here God's word tells me that I need to be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus. I don't have to do it all...at least I don't have to do it all in my own strength. I can rely on Christ to get me through. To help me remember what my aim is as a believer in God. He will help me be the "soldier" I'm supposed to be. It's not easy, but I don't need to do it all under my own strength.

Ah...that God would help me to rely on him all the more.

2 comments:

Stan said...

"how easy it is to get caught up in the her and now"

As a guy who loves his wife, I can really understand what you're saying ... even though the "her" was a typo. :)

Annette said...

Stan... thanks for the smile..and for catching my typo. :)