17As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
20O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called "knowledge," 21for by professing it some have swerved from the faith.
Grace be with you.
Paul has some closing instructions for Timothy regarding the wealthy among his people.
- Charge the rich to not be proud, or to be too concerned about the value of their stuff. Rather to set their hopes on God who gives us everything.
- Encourage the rich to do good, to be rich in the good works that they do, to be generous with what they have, people who are ready to share.
- If the rich do so, they will lay up treasure for themselves, a good foundation for their future.
- If the rich do these things, they will take hold of what is really life.
- Guard the deposit entrusted to you.
- Avoid irreverent babble and contradictions that some might call knowledge.
And then he extends grace to him.