Monday, May 08, 2006

This is a Shocker

John 1:16
From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.


I am constantly amazed at how God continues to work in the minds of people. Mind you, when peoples minds are evil, I'm not so thrilled with the knowledge God gave them, but when it's for good it's like WOW!

I was skimming the London Free Press this morning when I came across this article. I read simply because the title intrigued me. You can find that article here.

What researchers are trying to do create a plant
that will alert people to the presence of landmines by changing colour if their roots detect compounds, such as TNT, commonly used in mines.

Isn't that fascinating?? I never would have dreamed such a thing would be possible!!! For me, the thought would not even have occurred. But then again, I'm not a scientist either! :)

They've even had a small bit of success
They have had to develop a receptor gene that can detect TNT and be spliced into a plant's roots.

Once the TNT is detected, the plants must then be able to transmit the information to their leaves or shoots, much in the way hormones are transferred throughout the human body.

Then, more receptors are needed in the shoots or leaves to make them change colour.

Using a weed called an arabidopsis, the University of Alberta team has solved part of the equation.

"We have had the arabidopsis roots change colour . . . but we have not had the shoots change colour," Deyholos said.
I am just amazed. God could have made it so that the original idea was lost, that no money could be spent on this, that... oh the list just goes on. But here, in the midst of our sin and rebellion, God still shows his grace to us.

I am just amazed. God is just so cool and caring and.... the list could just go on. I wish these researchers success in their endeavors.

No comments: